Tuesday, November 20, 2018

Electric Edge 540 build log #5


For combat durability is a pretty high consideration. The planes I built for the War Bird Series in 2010 are still going strong and get heavy intermittent use as lawn darts for my friends and family. These planes took a play from Lee Liddle’s playbook with Coroplast tail feathers and it turns out the stuff cuts great on the laser leaving a super clean edge. I like to put a carbon tube in close the hinge line to act as a spar. (Black arrow) Even better is the elevators can be hinged by simply removing the “skin” on one side between the vertical ribs on the bottom of the hinge line leaving the top skin as the hinge. (Red arrow) Couple each side with a piece of 1/16” music wire and you are ready for heavy prop on tail action. (Blue arrow) These tails will stand up to all kinds of heavy hangar rash also!  



That is some legit prop chopp'en toughness!





The motor mount worked out better than I thought it might when I started. We will see how it stands up to combat soon enough.



Here is where the project is now. I thought I had foam for the wing – I do not. I thought I had enough covering – I do not. Both are on order and with the holiday may take a few extra days to arrive. There are a few little items to check off like the bell crank mount/pushrod/control horn and canopy but then I will have to wait on the shipments to arrive.


2 comments:

  1. Looks good Lester, we may fly your electric event for something different.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Send pictures!

    Keep in mind the event is not exclusively electric - the rules provide for both IC and electric powered planes.

    ReplyDelete