Monday, November 19, 2018

Electric Edge 540 build log #4


Being a profile plane I was not familiar with how to mount an out runner motor but I needed a set up that would let me change motor sizes if needed. I chose an L bracket mount (AKA the corner of an electrical rough in box from the hardware store) that will bolt on to the outboard of the fuse.  I also got the aluminum “L” bracket cut to shape for the bell crank mount.  More on that later…



Still concerned about weight I wanted to remove as much material as I could from the fuse. I had already removed the canopy area with the laser so I took out the razor plane and went to town on the turtle deck and the belly. Have I mentioned that I DO NOT like to plane and  I DO NOT SAND!! Combat planes are not expected to live long enough for these sadistic type of actions... The 2.0 version will get the swiss cheese treatment in the laser and that will be that! 

Next I routed a slot with the Dremel tool and laid in a couple strips of pultruded carbon for some good ‘ol combat strength. Clamping curves is always a fun exercise.



No comments:

Post a Comment