Wednesday, December 5, 2018

Electric Edge 540 build log #13



HELL YA! IT WORKED!!!! The graphics look amazing! Once I dug the negatives out of the trash at the MakerSpace the project moved along much quicker than I thought. The wing took about an hour and the fuse just 30 minutes. I realized the wing + fuse are going to be way too nice to run it with white tail feathers. So I had to spring for 2 4x8 sheets of dark blue CoroPlast, that is the plastic shops min. order.  I will cut new tail feathers on the laser tomorrow and getting the logos on should go pretty quick.  Update: Here are the photos with the blue tail feathers.






By the way the ammonia based window cleaner trick did NOT work. Using the negative as a template actually worked without a huge hassle and the results are very good in my opinion. I used the same process on the wing too.



Here you can see the lettering is just tacked in place in a few spots per letter with the tip of the iron. Then I removed the template and secured them all the way.   

That is the good news; the really bad news is the weight is most likely going to be a major hindrance to the performance. The wing weighs 205g (7 ¼ oz) alone with the logos and lettering adding just over a full ounce.  Hopefully the motors I ordered will arrive sooner than later and we can see if this bad boy will fly like a combat plane or not…

No comments:

Post a Comment